Thursday, March 10, 2011

You are my peace of mind.

One of my role models. Lauryn Hill is a hip hop icon, a true artist. We definitely need more of her. After this video your about to see she was basically ruined. The media called her crazy, and you never really heard of her after this. I believe it was because she shed light on some things in society and media, and she talked about God. She had a transformation....I know what it was, but you be the judge. This song tells it all: Big shout outs to you Lauryn Hill for being courageous enough to tell the truth. I hope and pray you are still following the one who inspires you to be the higher you.



Okay, so I've been wrestling with the idea of girl role models. I've been soooooo frustrated with every time I turn on the TV all I see is supposed girl role models turn crazy. It is a pattern that most artists in our society/media have fallen into. Brittany Spears, Miley Cyrus, Avril Lavigne, and the list goes on. I often think of if I had a girl who would I want her to look up to?!!

It was international womans day 2 days ago, and it made me think of who I look up to. I at least have more role models because I am a christian, and there are many more christian role models...but they are very rarely seen in the media. As of people that society would know I can only name a few that I "like"....but I wouldn't call them role models. Sandra Bullock, for example, I have always liked...she is funny, down to earth..and does wholesome movies. As of performing artists such as dancers...I would have to say Lady Jules, and Keely (from the Beat Freaks). But still, if I would mention their names to someone not many would know who the heck I was talking about.

I will do a whole nother blog about role models so I can really dig into it. But yeah, we say we want womens rights, and respect for women and all that...but we disrespect and degrade ourselves by allowing every add, every music video, every movie to just tear apart our dignity. Come on, be honest...women have become just sex symbols, and the ones that are trying to be pure and good get ripped apart.

For example, I love the show "Glee", but the last episode I was so disappointed. It was throwing sex in the youths face. I know teens need to be aware...but there is no room for "good" girls...or ones who choose to wait to have sex. There was a part in that episode where Rachael and Quinn made a statement on practicing Celibacy...and Gwenyth Paltrow (who played the sex-ed teacher) said "well isn't that rigid?!" Come on man...why??!!...

Why do we have this urge to be bad...and that choosing to be good is looked down upon? The lyrics of Avril Lavigne's new song is "All my life I've been good...but now I'm thinking what the hell?"...basically saying throw it all away.

After researching some more I'm going to post some positive role models of people I know and I love and respect. I was asking around of who peoples role models were and no one could really name one person the respected and thought was a good role model. We need more in society.

Anyway....I couldn't sleep until I got this off my chest!

Have a lovely night!

"He inspires me to be the higher me".

1 comment:

  1. Hey girl, this is a great post, and one that I also am passionate about. I still believe with my whole heart that there can and will be REAL positive role models. I am believing and declaring it... for my little girl:)

    ReplyDelete