Monday, February 7, 2011

B-Girls Represent!!

Here are just a few of my favorite B-Girls, and B-Girl crews.  It's sometimes tough as a girl in an industry that is quite male dominated.  It's a struggle not only because you are outnumbered most of the time, but also because even other B-Girls act all hard and put up a front because they've had to fight to get respect.  You don't want to get "easy props" just because your a girl....but it's also tough to be compared to some guys just cuz it takes longer for girls to get some of the power moves because our center of balance is different, and we are built differently (whether we like it or not).  So when I see BGirls bust out power that is clean and fast I totally respect that!  Also...to see girls with good foundation and clean footwork is rare...and I respect that as well :)

I personally hate when people are like "whoa...you breakdance...can you spin on your head??"...or "can you do the worm??!!" There is a LOT more to breaking than just spinning on your head...if anything that's a mundane move that won't get you much props at all in the scene unless you are super fast and creative with it.  I think movies and television has ruined that for breakers.  People only see the "flashy" moves, and when they see a breaker that is really dope at footwork/tops/musicality they think they are not as good as the ones who do the flashy moves.  Don't get me wrong...a lot of power moves are amazing and EXTREMELY hard!....I do respect that, and I enjoy watching power.  But how do we educate the average viewer on the true essence of breaking in the midst of all the cheesy movies and so called "reality" dance shows that really make breaking/ hip hop look nothing of what it really is.

Another thing that really ERKS (is that a word?!!lol) is the way girls are represented.  I don't think I know of ANY real bgirls that dance in just a bikini top....HA!!  heeeeeeeeck nooooo....try doing a backspin in that...ouch!  And what's up with the booty shaking??!! Come on man!!!...girls respect yourself!...You can still be attractive fully clothed dressed fresh.  A group of girls I love and truly respect are the "Beat Freaks"...now these girls know what's up.  They are SUPER talented, RAW, graceful, hardcore, athletic, beautiful and aggresive!...These are the girls that need to be looked up to in society...NOT the booty shakers.  Come on girls...let's rise up and respect ourselves!

I have been inspired by a few girls in the scene.  Here are some of my fav's.

enjoy!



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJiBjxbjV7M&feature=related
 


Queen of Queens (Japan)


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0CxJX80I6c


B-Girl Shie-Chan (Queen of Queenz)


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSgJLl8WMP8



B-Girl AT (Flow Mo)
This bgirl has sick style and footwork for days!!! Probably my biggest inspiration!



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNbO27iEmOs



B-Girl AT vs B-Girl Movie 1


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwYYhcCO00g&feature=related



B-Girl Jeskillz (RSC)


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Esykt40WB0&feature=fvsr



Beat Freakz
Love these girls....I will do more on street dance on a later post...

2 comments:

  1. So I cannot dance. Not ballroom, not hip hop and certainly not breaking but this is wicked! Love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog, CherryD! Keep them posts coming! :)

    ReplyDelete